At Metropia, we value your business and respect your right to privacy.
When registering at our sales offices or visiting our websites, Metropia collects personal information from individuals with a commitment to the protection of individual privacy. Metropia asks for and maintains information on its visitors and clients to provide a better, more personal experience and to promote special offers.
Metropia has taken measures to protect the security and confidentiality of personal information. It is our promise that Metropia will not sell or trade any of the information accumulated through the course of business about registrants, web visitors or other contacts to any third parties. Individuals who wish to unsubscribe from our email database can do so by clicking the unsubscribe button from our email correspondence.
For the purposes of this Statement, “personal information” means information that is personally identifiable to individuals. “Non-identifiable information” means information that cannot be associated with or traced back to specific individuals with any certainty.
How and when Metropia collects personal information
1. Metropia collects personal information from individuals on a voluntary basis through surveys, contest entry forms, registration forms, questionnaires and transaction documents both online and offline. The personal information includes contact information (for example, name, mailing address, e-mail address, telephone number), demographic information, household information, preference information and transaction-related information.
Use of personal information by Metropia
2. Metropia uses personal information that it collects for the following:
- To communicate with individuals
- To understand individual needs
- To promote and offer products, services and special offers that meet individual needs or that might be of interest to individuals based on information provided and approved by Metropia.
- To provide individuals with products or services that are requested or that is part of Metropia’ ongoing service with its customers
- To conduct, process and complete transactions with customers
The information also enables us to develop and customize our products and services to better meet the needs and preferences of customers. Metropia may, from time to time, contact individuals by electronic format, regular mail or telephone for any of the purposes set out above.
Disclosure of personal information by Metropia
3. Metropia does not sell, rent or trade personal information that it collects. Metropia will not knowingly disclose personal information to any third parties except in the following circumstances:
- When Metropia has received consent to do so or under limited circumstances specifically described at such time as personal information is collected;
- When Metropia, in good faith, believes the law permits or requires such disclosure;
- To affiliated and associated companies within the Metropia group of companies and only for the purposes described in paragraph 2 above. These affiliated and associated companies and their respective employees are restricted from using the personal information for any other purpose other than as described in paragraph 2 above.
- To its agents, professional advisors, promotional and marketing agencies, and to any other Third Parties in order to complete transactions, to process data and to service customers. These Third Parties and their respective employees are only provided with such personal information as is necessary to perform the services for which they have been contracted and are restricted from using the personal information for any other purpose other than as described in paragraph 2 above.
- In the event of the sale of Metropia, personal information may be one of the transferred business assets.
Retention of personal information by Metropia
4. At such time as personal information is no longer required for the purposes stated in this Privacy Statement or other statutory requirements, such personal information will be made anonymous or destroyed.
Collection, use and disclosure of non-identifiable information
5. Metropia collects and uses Non-Identifiable Information to assess the effectiveness of web site content and traffic. This allows Metropia to improve the quality of visits to web sites managed by it by streamlining visitors’ ability to navigate these sites and developing featured programs and content that will be of interest to visitors. Aggregate non-identifiable information is used to perform statistical analyses of the collective characteristics and behaviour of individuals, and to measure demographics and interests.
6. Metropia also uses aggregate non-identifiable information it collects to inform its current and prospective sponsors and advertisers about the number of visits to its web sites, the demographic characteristics of these visitors and the number of times visitors have viewed and “clicked” on their advertisement(s). Metropia also discloses to advertisers the overall demographics available regarding visitors who “clicked” on their advertisement. Aggregate non-identifiable information may be used to describe Metropia’ services and products to third parties such as prospective business partners and financial institutions. In any of these circumstances, only non-identifiable information in an aggregate form and not personal information is disclosed.
Web sites operated by third parties
7. Web sites operated by Metropia may contain links to other web sites that may collect personal information. This Statement does not extend to the data collection, disclosure, use and retention practices of such third parties and Metropia does not assume any responsibility for the privacy practices, policies or actions of such third parties. Individuals should read the privacy policies of such third parties, and make an informed decision whether or not to visit such web sites and/or provide personal information to such third parties based upon their privacy practices and individual discretion.
Safeguarding personal information
8. Metropia has taken measures to protect the security and confidentiality of personal information as are appropriate in the circumstances. Personal information is stored in confidential databases and locations in the Greater Toronto Area. These sites have appropriate security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal information under the care and control of Metropia. Any information transmitted via the Internet, however, may be intercepted by third parties. Metropia does not assume any liability for interception, alteration or misuse of information transmitted over the Internet. Metropia’ employees are restricted from using and disclosing personal information collected by Metropia other than in accordance with this Statement.
Accessing personal information
9. Individuals have the right to access, verify and correct or amend all of their personal information collected by Metropia. Metropia believes that it is imperative that personal information be as accurate, complete and up to date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is collected. Accordingly, to help Metropia keep personal information as current as possible, Metropia encourages individuals to amend inaccuracies and make corrections in their personal information collected by Metropia as often as necessary. To access verify and correct or amend personal information, please send an email to the Privacy Officer at Metropia at privacy@Metropia.ca.
How to File a Complaint
10. To file a complaint with Metropia concerning the collection, use and/or disclosure of personal information, please send an email to the Privacy Officer at Metropia at privacy@Metropia.ca. All complaints will be investigated by the Metropia Privacy Officer as soon as is practical in the circumstances. Individuals will be notified of the outcome of the investigation of complaints clearly and promptly and will be notified of any relevant steps taken or to be taken as a result of a complaint.
Withdrawal of Consent
11. Individuals always have the choice whether or not they wish to supply Metropia with personal information. Individuals wishing to “opt-out” of receiving certain informational and promotional materials from Metropia or who otherwise object to the collection, use and disclosure policies as provided under this Privacy Statement, are asked to contact the Privacy Officer at Metropia by email at privacy@Metropia.ca or call at 416.486.4242.
Opt-out opportunities are also provided in other circumstances such as in certain promotional mailings. Individuals are reminded that the decision to withhold personal information or to object to the use and/or disclosure of personal information as provided in this Privacy Statement or in any agreement between such individuals and Metropia, may, in certain instances, limit their ability to complete purchases of Metropia products and services and limit their ability to access or take advantage of certain promotions and features.
Your personal information is obtained and used only with your consent that may be expressed or implied depending on the circumstance.
Comments and Questions
12. Any comments or questions about this Statement, should be addressed to Metropia as follows:
2300 Yonge Street, Suite 807
Toronto, ON M4P 1E4
By email: privacy@Metropia.ca
By phone: 416.486.4242
Effective Date of Statement
13. This Statement has been adopted by Metropia as of January 1, 2016. Revisions to the Statement will be posted on www.Metropia.ca as soon as practical.
In order for Metropia and its authorized marketing partners to send you our communications, we require your consent. By completing and submitting this form, we will comply with Canada’s Anti-Spam legislation. If at any time you wish to stop receiving emails from the Metropia or its partners, please utilize the unsubscribe mechanism found in our electronic message.